Don’t let the hustle and bustle of everyday life prevent you from taking care of the little things. Regularly cleaning your makeup brushes will help improve makeup application. Without regular cleaning brushes build up with product residue, oil from our skin, debris and dirt. To help we've prepared a few tips from Viva®.
What should you wash your makeup brushes with?
- Baby Shampoos
- They’re gentle enough to clean brushes, especially for cleaning natural fiber brushes.
- Dish soap
- This works great for deep cleaning makeup sponges and beauty blenders and washing out oil-based foundations and concealers.
- Textured cleansing mats
- Pro Tip: Sizes that fit in the palm of your hand are easier to use.
- Makeup brush cleaner
- Get right to it: solutions specifically made for cleaning makeup brushes work great.
How should you clean your makeup brushes?
- Step 1: Wet the bristles
- Rinse the bristles under water without letting the makeup brushes sit fully emerged in the water.
- Step 2: Gently swirl in soap
- Rub your favorite cleanser onto your hand and then swirl your brush in circular motions.
- Step 3: Rinse clean
- Rinse the soap and product out. Try repeating one to two times if the water doesn’t run clean.
- Step 4: Squeeze excess water
- Once you’ve cleaned your makeup brushes, make sure to release excess water from the brushes.
- Step 5: Lay flat to dry
- Lay the brush or brushes flat on a Viva® Multi-Surface™ paper towel overnight. They’ll be ready to go by the next morning.
We recommend cleaning your makeup brushes once every seven to ten days to help prevent bacteria growth, acne and other skin issues. And remember, healthy habits start with cleaning routines you can trust.