We all know the incredible feeling of stepping into a clean, fresh bathroom. It instantly puts you at ease and adds a feeling of accomplishment to your daily routine.
If you want to keep yours pristine, you've come to the right place. In our step-by-step guide, we'll share everything you need to know about how to clean a bathroom.
At Viva®, we’re big fans of a cleaning checklist that you can complete in one go. But sometimes, the secret to a spotless home is finding those little moments for a quick refresh.
To keep you on track, our guide includes both a checklist of essential tasks, plus a rundown of key areas that are often overlooked—whether wiping out drawers, polishing faucets, or brightening up your mirror.
Whatever your bathroom needs, Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towels are the ultimate companion for thorough once-overs and speedy spot cleans that go a long way.
Let’s get cleaning!
Before we dive into how to clean a bathroom, let’s make sure you have everything you need to complete our essential tasks. Luckily, you only need a few very simple tools to achieve a clean that feels amazing—and makes your guests swoon!
- Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towels have 4X cleaning power*, which makes them the perfect, versatile tool for tackling multiple tasks in one go. Keep a roll under the bathroom sink so you can grab a sheet and get cleaning whenever you notice an area that needs attention.
- Vinegar is an absolute must-have in your bathroom cleaning arsenal. That’s because it’s acidic enough to dissolve mineral deposits, dirt, grease, and grime—and strong enough to kill bacteria, while also being an affordable option. To make your own cleaning solution, combine 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 1/2 cups water in a spray bottle. If you’re cleaning marble, hardwood floors, or other special surfaces, swap out vinegar for a few drops of mild dish soap.
- Essential oils are an optional add-on to make your homemade vinegar and water cleaning solution a little special—and spritz some fragrance into your bathroom. We recommend peppermint or eucalyptus oil for a fresh scent, or even a touch of lavender. Add 5-10 drops to your spray bottle, depending on how strong you prefer the scent.
Now you have those simple supplies ready to go, it’s time to dive into how to clean a bathroom.
To get started, you’ll want to clean key areas like the sink, bathroom counters, shower, and toilet. Follow the steps below to make sure you give all these key surfaces a thorough clean.
- Toilet: Spray cleaning solution onto the toilet bowl, rim, seat, and both sides of the lid. Let it sit for a few minutes to break down any residue. Scrub the bowl with a toilet brush, and then use a Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towel to wipe over all the other surfaces.
- Shower: Spray cleaning solution generously over the shower walls, floor, and fixtures. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes to break down any soap scum and mildew. Use a damp paper towel to wipe over the surfaces, paying attention to corners and grout lines. Rinse thoroughly with the shower head.
- Bathroom counters: Declutter counters and put any items back into cupboards and drawers. Spray cleaning solution onto a paper towel and wipe over the countertops, paying attention to corners and edges.
- Sink: Spray cleaning solution over the entire surface of the sink and let it sit for a few minutes to loosen any residue. Use a damp paper towel to wipe away the cleaning solution, paying attention to areas around the drain where buildup can occur. Rinse well.
Once you’ve cleaned all those key areas, your bathroom is one step closer to that coveted shining clean. But we’re not quite done yet.
You know it, we know it— a bathroom can look clean at first glance. But the key to a bathroom that really feels clean is making sure all those hidden corners and crevices are free of dust and grime.
To make sure you never miss a trick, here’s our list of the most easily overlooked areas to give some extra attention. These tasks are all easy to complete using a Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towel, so there’s no need to be overwhelmed—you can tackle them one at a time, whenever you get the chance.
- Ventilation fan: These are often above our sightline, so it’s easy to overlook them. Turn off the fan and cover the surrounding area, including the floor and counters, with a few Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towels to catch any falling debris. Then spray some cleaning solution onto a paper towel and gently remove dust from the fan blades.
- Light switches: Light switches in the bathroom are touched frequently, which means they can accumulate dust and smudges of grime. Spray a small amount of your cleaning solution onto a paper towel and gently wipe down the switch plate, taking care not to let any liquid seep into the switch itself.
- Shower curtain liner: Regular wipe-downs will help stop your shower curtain from accumulating mildew. Soak a paper towel with your cleaning solution, then run it along the shower curtain liner to remove soap scum and residue. Rinse with the shower head and wipe dry with a fresh paper towel.
- Toilet flush handle: The toilet flush handle is a high-touch area that’s often overlooked. Dampen a paper towel with cleaning solution and thoroughly wipe the flush handle, including the top, bottom, and sides.
- Toilet base: The area around the base of the toilet is easy to forget, but it can accumulate dust. Start by wiping the surface with a damp paper towel to remove any loose debris. Then, spritz some of your cleaning solution and wipe again with the paper towel, ensuring you reach the back and sides.
- Inside drawers: Bathroom drawers can get a little dusty, and you might also see loose hairs or small traces of spilled cosmetics. To clean them up, empty your drawers and spritz cleaning solution on a paper towel—then wipe every surface, including the corners. This is also a great opportunity to declutter any out of date or underused cosmetics.
- Drawer handles and knobs: If your bathroom has drawers or cabinets, the handles and knobs can be easily overlooked. Dampen a paper towel with cleaning solution and wipe down all the handles and knobs, removing any dust or residue.
- Towel rack: The top, bottom, and back of towel rack rails can collect dust over time. Start by dusting off the rack with a dry paper towel. Then, dampen another paper towel with cleaning solution and wipe down the entire surface of each rail.
We just have a few more easy cleaning hacks that will take your clean to the next level—and save you money on expensive cleaning products in the process! All you’ll need is Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towels, and the same cleaning solution we shared above.
- Clean up hair without the need for a dustpan. Sometimes, you can sweep and sweep—and you still find pesky little hairs on your bathroom floor. Our paper towel trick can help you trap every last hair. Simply dampen the edges of a paper towel and lay it on the ground. Then, sweep hair and other debris onto the paper towel, fold it up, and discard.
- Replace expensive mop pads with Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™ paper towels. That’s right! Just spray a paper towel with your cleaning solution and place it onto your mop, exactly like you would with a branded mop pad. (To see this in action, check out Instagram’s housekeeping queen, Brunch with Babs, trying out this very tip as one of her many home hacks!)
- Maintain a shiny faucet by using a paper towel soaked in vinegar to remove water spots and mineral buildup. Hello, shiny faucets!
- Dust-proof your bathroom cabinets by lining the tops with Viva Multi-Surface Cloth paper towels. When they gather dust, roll them up, discard, and replace.
- Enhance the cleanliness of your hairbrush by using a paper towel to scrub against the bristles, removing any lint or buildup.
Congratulations! By following our guide on how to clean a bathroom, you’re ready to transform your personal sanctuary into a haven of cleanliness. Time to embrace the peace and satisfaction that comes with a pristine space where you can unwind and pamper yourself.